Corrosion of Soil Reinforcements
Engineers and specialty material suppliers have been designing reinforced soil structures for the past 35 years. During the last decade significant improvements have been made to the design methods and in the understanding of factors affecting the durability of the soil reinforcements. This work is becoming even more important now that many reinforced soil structures are well into their anticipated design life.
This course provides criteria for evaluating corrosion losses when using coated or uncoated steel reinforcements, and for determining aging and installation damage losses when using geosynthetic reinforcements. Monitoring methods for in-situ corrosion rates for steel reinforcements are evaluated and remote methods using electrochemical methods are recommended. Monitoring methods for determinations of in-situ aging of geosynthetics are evaluated and protocols for implementation are recommended.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of forty-five (45) questions to earn 9 PDH credits.
This course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Description of the corrosion/deterioration mechanism that occurs in reinforced soil structures constructed with metallic reinforcements, leading to design procedure recommendations.
- Description of techniques and instrumentation designed to measure in-situ corrosion rates of steel reinforcements in MSE structures.
- Review of laboratory test methods for the electrochemical analysis of select reinforced fill materials used in MSE structures.
- Relationships between these test variables and predictions of corrosion/degradation are also discussed.
- Review of criteria to determine survivability of fusion bonded epoxy coatings.
- Identification of degradation mechanisms consistent with in-ground regimes for geosynthetic reinforcements.
- Monitoring methods and evaluation of degradation mechanisms for geosynthetic reinforcements.
Download the Course to review and begin earning your PDH credits.
We provide technical courses for PDH credits that meet Board requirements for Professional Engineers, Geologists and Land Surveyors. This courses is guaranteed to be accepted in AK, AL, AR, FL, GA, IA, IL, ID, IN, KS, KY, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY. Before purchasing this course, please confirm that your state Board is listed above.