Basic Electrical and DC Theory
This course also introduces the basic electricity and electrical circuit concepts associated with direct current (DC). Topics include calculation of current, voltage, resistance and power in series, parallel and combination circuits with DC power sources.
In this 10-hour online course, you will explore the source of electricity and understand its relationship with the physics of matter. This course presents a fundamental explanation of: matter, electron theory, magnetism, electromagnetism, the laws of electrical circuits, series circuits, parallel circuits, series-parallel circuits and the basic electrical formulas
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of forty (40) questions to earn 10 PDH credit.
This course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- How is DC voltage produced and what does an electric circuit consist of
- What is a rectifier and how half-wave bridge rectifiers differ from full-wave bridge rectifiers
- What is the difference between a schematic diagram, one-line diagram, block diagram and wiring diagram
- What is resistivity and how temperature affects the resistance of materials
- What is the difference between open circuit, close circuit, and short circuit
- What primary characteristics identify a series, parallel or a combination circuit
- How to calculate the current and voltage drop in series, parallel or combination circuits
- How to calculate the equivalent resistance for a series, parallel or combination circuit
- What is meant by the terms voltage divider and current division
- How is electron flow theory different from conventional current theory
Download the Course to review and begin earning your PDH credits.
We provide technical courses for PDH credits that meet Board requirements for Professional Engineers, Geologists and Land Surveyors. This courses is guaranteed to be accepted in AK, AL, AR, GA, IA, IL, ID, IN, KS, KY, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY. Before purchasing this course, please confirm that your state Board is listed above.