Battery Applications and Technology
This course provides the information necessary to safely operate and maintain lead-acid and nickel-cadmium storage battery systems. It identifies the many hazards associated with battery operation including acid burn, fire, explosion, and electrical shock. It provides an understanding of the operating principles and safety precautions for storage batteries will help prevent personal injury and damage to facilities.
Once you complete your course review, take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of fifteen (15) questions to earn 3 PDH credits.
This course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Identify the differences between primary and secondary batteries.
- Identify the major types of lead-acid storage batteries.
- Define the following terms: cell, battery, electrolyte, separator, terminal, electrode, thermal runaway, gassing.
- Identify the active materials in the lead-acid cell.
- Describe the effects of temperature and discharge rate on battery capacity and life.
- Identify industry and government standards for maintenance, testing, replacement, sizing, and installation of lead-acid batteries.
- Identify the three most common applications of lead-acid batteries.
- Identify and describe four charging techniques. Identify safety precautions for operating and maintaining lead-acid batteries.
- Identify federal regulations governing lead-acid battery disposal. Identify the two basic types of “maintenance-free” batteries.
- Describe the effect that overcharging has on gassing and thermal runaway.
Download the Course to review and begin earning your PDH credits.
We provide technical courses for PDH credits that meet Board requirements for Professional Engineers, Geologists and Land Surveyors. This courses is guaranteed to be accepted in AK, AL, AR, GA, IA, IL, ID, IN, KS, KY, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY. Before purchasing this course, please confirm that your state Board is listed above.