Climate Change and Renewable Energy
All societies require energy services to meet basic human needs (e.g., lighting, cooking, space comfort, mobility, communication) and to serve productive processes. Sustainable social and economic development requires assured and affordable access to the energy resources necessary to provide essential and sustainable energy services. To be environmentally benign, energy services must be provided with low environmental impacts and low greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Renewable energy (RE) sources play a role in providing energy services in a sustainable manner and, in particular, in mitigating climate change.
This course explores the current contribution and potential of RE sources to provide energy services for a sustainable social and economic development path. It includes assessments of available RE resources and technologies, costs and co-benefits, barriers to up-scaling and integration requirements, future scenarios and policy options.
This course includes a video on food security and renewable energy. It includes presentations by the IPCC given at major climate change conference.
Once you complete your course review, you need to take a multiple-choice quiz consisting of forty (40) questions to earn 8 PDH credits.
This course is intended to provide you with the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Identification of renewable energy resources and available technologies and impacts of climate change on these resources
- Options and constraints for integration of renewable energy technologies into the energy supply system and other markets, including energy storage, modes of transmission, and integration into existing systems
- Impacts of climate change on secure energy supply
- Economic and environmental costs, benefits, risks and impacts of deployment of renewable energy sources
- Mitigation potential of renewable energy resources
Download the Course to review and begin earning your PDH credits.
We provide technical courses for PDH credits that meet Board requirements for Professional Engineers, Geologists and Land Surveyors. This courses is guaranteed to be accepted in AK, AL, AR, GA, IA, IL, ID, IN, KS, KY, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and WY. Before purchasing this course, please confirm that your state Board is listed above.